Well the DMSA was a little painful, not so much for Lilly but for Momma and Mimi. Mike had to work today so he could be off of work for the surgery. We go to the hospital around 10:30 and went to “Nuclear Medicine” to get Lilly's injection. That was a struggle in and of itself. My little chunky monkey has no easy access veins. They tried her hands..too chubby, her feet..too chubby, so as a last resort they did the injection in her wrist. And of course she screamed her little head off the whole time. After the injection, we went to child life services and got a tour of the hospital so I know where to go and what to expect of the day or her surgery. I highly suggest to anyone with a child of any age having surgery. Check to see if they have a Child Life Services and use it! At Children's Hospital in NOLA they have a whole DVD library for you to check out, they do activities for all ages, they explain procedures and surgeries to children in a child friendly language and they will come and help distract babies and toddlers during procedures. They are so nice and now know Lilly very well and we plan on talking to them a lot while we are at the hospital. Then around 1:00 we went back to the nuclear medicine and had to get Lilly sedated. That was by far the hardest part, again not for her but for me. I was unable to stay with her while they put her under and unable to stay with her for the scan. They give kids nitrous (laughing gas) before poking them with any needle so I know she was calm and happy until she fell asleep. We waited about 45 minutes after giving her to the sedation team, before they called us back to recovery. Lilly was not happy when we go to her but she was very very ready to eat! She nursed and was a little happier after that. She stayed groggy for about an hour afterwards. We made an emergency trip to Babies R' Us afterwards to get a present for my sweet pea. She totally deserved it!!!! She is home and happily asleep now
And on another note, Lilly is infection free again!! We have now had two urine cultures in a row come back negative. For the first time in her life she is infection free! I honestly can’t explain how happy that makes me.



1 comment:
What a difficult day! I'm glad it is behind you and everything is moving forward. I am so glad Mimi was there for moral support. I know that had to make the day a bit easier having her to lean on and distract you while Lilly was having her test.
Post a Comment